Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wake Me Up When It's Over

Does anyone really think that Derek Jeter is not going to sign with the New York Yankees? Ignore all of the sniping back and forth in the media between the two sides, it's just an attempt by both to get fan and media support behind them so that the other side will hopefully cave. Judging by what I've heard on WFAN and read in the papers most of the sentiment seems to be that Jeter is just another greedy ballplayer and he should be happy to take the deal that's offered to him.

I agree that an offer of $45 million over 3 years to play shortstop is a stupid amount of money, but I don't begrudge Jeter for a second for trying to get as much money as he possibly can. If I was in Jeter's position, I would be trying to get every last cent I could as well. And so would you. And don't think for a second that the Yankees aren't trying to get every last cent they can as well. They will try to sign Jeter for as little as possible--again, I know $45 million is not little by most standards--and I don't begrudge them for doing so either. Don't think for a second that the Yankees are some benevolent organization. They charge obscene amounts of money at the concession stands and gouge you for every cent they possibly can. They got $1.2 billion from New York City to build the new Yankee Stadium. As far as I'm concerned, both sides are dealing in Monopoly money. Money that you and I can only dream of making one day.

Now, I admit that I hate the Yankees and Jeter. I root for both to fail miserably each and every game, and I doubt that it would be enough for me if the Yankees went 0-162 and Jeter had an average of .000 for the season. However, my point in this post is that I don't blame either side for trying to get the best deal they possibly can. If you're a Yankee fan, what are you worried about? Are you honestly worried that if they sign Jeter for $20 million over 4 years they won't be able to sign Cliff Lee? If so, you're stupid. The Yankees could have a payroll of $300 million and they'd barely notice a hit to their bottom line. And if they let Jeter walk, who are they going to sign? Edgar Renteria? Orlando Cabrera? Please. Within the next month or two there will be a press conference at Yankee Stadium announcing that the Yankees and Derek Jeter have reached an agreement. The terms of the deal? Who cares.

2 comments:

  1. I don't disagree with what you say, Mike...but I will add that I fail to see any leverage that Jeter might possess.

    Which GM in the league, in his right mind, would sign Jeter to play shortstop for his team ABOVE the $15m a season that the Yankees offered him. Something tells me Jeter is not going to leave the Yanks because some team is willing to give him $16m per year and 4 years.

    Jeter needs to suck it up, take the Yankees deal, and stop from being perceived as some sort of "bad guy". Which the NY media is currently making him out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were John Henry, I think that I would make an obscene offer to Jeter, just to piss off the Yankees. Like maybe 4 years, 88 million or something.

    I guess that it is easy to throw around other peoples' money...

    =D

    ReplyDelete