Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mets Fans For Yankees

The church of Mets Fans for Yankees is now open thanks to WFAN's Craig Carton, co-host of the Boomer and Carton show. Carton does a great job on WFAN and I am a big fan of pretty much all the bits that he and Boomer do on the show, and normally I would say that a church (or temple, mosque, etc.) should be respected and not defamed, but this is not one of those cases! If you want to be a bandwagon fan, then by all means go and join Carton and the other infidels in this church. However, if you're a real Mets fan, there is no way that you can possibly bring yourself to root for the Evil Empire; nor will I ever root for the Braves, Phillies, or Marlins. Once you choose your team there is no switching allegiances, especially to a rival; however, I do believe it is acceptable to root for your rival's rival (the enemy of my enemy is my friend).

Pink Yankee hats, another thing that bothers me: I'm sorry, but I can't stand seeing people wearing a team's hat that is not the official one. Seriously, how stupid do these pink, yellow, orange, green, or white Yankees [or Mets, et al.] hats, and the people who wear them, look? The same thing goes for pink Yankee shirts...and A-Rod jerseys. I also don't think I could wear a jersey that had the wrong style lettering for a player's name; in the case of a Yankees jersey, you should not wear a Yankees jersey that has ANY name on the back. I mean, you go to a sporting goods store and you see a David Wright jersey, but the lettering on the back is in all blue, which is not the style of a real Mets jersey. To me, this is just a waste of money. I realize that the authentic player jerseys are ridiculously expensive, which is why I prefer to get the player t-shirt, especially since these players don't last with their teams for very long. I was at Modell's the other day and saw Mets player t-shirts with "Reyes", "Wright", "Santana", and "K-Rod." NO! Even though K-Rod, Francisco Rodriguez, is obviously a stain on the Mets now almost as bad as Oliver Perez, the name on the back should be "Rodriguez." Alright, enough of me sounding like a total sports snob.

Finally, a few trivia questions about the Yankees. If you're a real fan of the team, you should know these; and, if you really hate them, you should know these too.

1. Who is the last Yankee to win the American League Rookie of the Year award?
2. Who caught the final out of the 1996 World Series?
3. Prior to winning the World Series in 1996, when did the Yankees win their last World Series and who did they beat?
4. Name all of the players who have worn numbers 1-10 to have their number retired by the Yankees.

Answers to be posted tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment